31 March 2006

Birmingham Part 2

Well today has been somewhat of a disastrous day.

Due to the lack of sleep I had Wednesday night I slept in later than I had intended to this morning. It wasn't too major just meant I was going to get to Birmingham for 11am. I get to train station and reach the barriers just as the doors on my train were closing so had an hour to wait for the next train. I did finally manage to arrive there though all in one piece. I did feel more productive in the work I did today though and showed several people how to do the crochet stitch I am using on the blanket and also finger knitting.

On the purchasing side I stopped off at Undy Yarns. I did make a joke to Yvonne when she posted it on UKHK about is that where you buy yarn for woolly bloomers! I think their website if you want to look is www.undyarns.com/co.uk. The result of my purchasing was this small bag of merino. It contains a smattering of several colours and will be put to good use when the wheel arrives.



With Yvonne's help I made some progress on the shawl this afternoon. For some reason it is the starting off that has caused the problems. The pattern says:

1. Crochet chain five stitches.
2. Pick up three stitches with knitting needle on the back of the loop of the crochet chains.
3. Knit these garter st for 6 rows. Pick up three stitches from the edge of the rows you've worked. Unpick the crochet chain and pick up the three stitches so you end up with 9 stitches on your needle.

For some reason it just did not seem to play ball for me until Yvonne showed me where I was going wrong. About 30 minutes later and I had reached to this point:



Now I wonder what my chances are for getting it finished before Sunday.....

Seriously though I am hoping that I will be able to finish it all completely in time to show off at the Bingley Show in August. I know this is still some way off but work always causes things to take a lot longer than they should do hence why I finally finished 11pm Wednesday night as opposed to 5pm!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, I recognise that as the start of an American type shawl. Final effect is good. I prefer to make a start knitting in waste yarn of another colour, a hark-back to my machine knitting days. It has absolutely nothing to do with being too lazy to read the pattern first and having to go all the way upstairs again to find a crochet hook!
Happy Knitting.

Wye Sue said...

She may make us buy and do things we dont want to but she is good at learning us things - finished mobius scarf yesterday morning, very quick knit once you get past first few rows. Still dont know how it works or where one of the ends dissapeared to....