30 July 2007

A Predicament

I've got 100g of red laceweight silk which equates to about 800 metres. All of my shawl patterns work to approx 1100 metres and I don't particularly want to buy a second skein purely to make one of them. Other than buy a second skein in perhaps a contrast colour has anyone any suggestions?

3 comments:

Joanna said...

How about a laceweight stole pattern, you could just copy a lace pattern you like in a width, I have a stole pattern which is just over 800yds of yarn so you may be able to wing it!!

Liz said...

Miriam Felton's "Icarus" is about 800m - took me less, and Gill a very little more (or the skein I dyed for her was short; also possible). If you miss out a repeat of the pattern you'd get it out easily. Her "Mountain Peaks" shawl is designed for 650m of laceweight... Both are downloadable for purchase from her shop, and her charting's very good.
http://mimknits.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=69

Kate said...

There's a list of triangular shawls by length of yarn required here:

http://simpleknits.blogspot.com/2007/04/triangle-shawls-galore.html

There must be something there that would fit the bill.